Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Eclipse Con 2006 - Day 2

Day 2 of EclipseCon 2006 was great - lots of informative talks and presentations, good food (breakfast, lunch, AND dinner), and free vendor marketing crap!

The talks and presentations I attended today mostly consisted of RCP and plug-in development, and various tools for Web Services and Hibernate. The one talk I attended today that was particularly interesting was "NASA Mission Operations with RCP". The talk went over how NASA uses RCP and many other Eclipse platform tools to create custom applications used by the Mars lander and Mars rover missions. It's hard to describe everything the RCP application does, so just take my word for it, it was very cool!

The one thing I don't like at the conference are the the 9-minute talks. I don't mind that the talks are only 9 minutes, actually I think it's a good thing since it prevents the presenters from rambling on and on. What I DON'T like is that there is no extra time in between the short talks to move from one place to the other - a new short talk starts right after the other ends. That means I had to run from one conference room to another if I wanted to attend a different short talk without being late. I hope this is something they'll change in next year's conference. I think a two minute passing time would be great to have between each short talk.

No comments: